Sword-Catching Parrying Dagger
- Dated: 1600
- Culture: Italian
This unusual fencing dagger demonstrates the way in which the artistic qualities of a weapon could be influenced by the practical concerns of the swordsman. The Renaissance duel was usually fought with rapier and dagger. The rapier, as the main weapon of attack, was complemented by a parrying dagger held in the left hand, used primarily for defensive movements.
However, by 1600 fighting with the rapier alone was becoming the latest fashion. The opposing blade could still be parried or beaten away with the left hand. The free left also allowed the duellist to grab hold of his enemy’s swordblade, temporarily immobilising it to expose him to a lethal counter-thrust.
This distinctive fencing weapon is designed to provide the blade-grabbing ability of the free left hand, while retaining the dagger for defensive action. The arrow-like barbs allowed a sword blade to enter the ‘jaw’ of the dagger, but made it difficult to free it again. With his weapon ensnared, the enemy was exposed, if only for an instant.
The practical challenges of creating such a specialised weapon were considerable. The hardened and tempered steel blade had to be carefully cut with the series of dramatically barbed teeth, a laborious process. The spaces between the teeth have been elegantly filed with ornamental edges, while the base of the blade has been finely etched and gilt- an unusual feature, even for high-quality weapons. In this way, despite its very specific function as a fighting tool, the weapon’s artistic merit is evident.
Source & Copyright: The Wallace Collection
Fun fact: Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins decided secretly that they’d play Hook and Smee as a gay couple. When Spielberg, the director, found out, he was furious.
I just think it’s hilarious.
such drama queens
Remains one of my favorite couples of all time.
First Clip from The CW’s ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway’ Revival Arrives | Film Thrasher
Ha ha, surprisingly accurate song for the CW too.
A crossover waiting to happen.
I can’t even… just NO.
Manga | Anime - Eren Jaeger’s Death ?
- requested by erens-ass
This is pretty cool
These links work as of 5/7/13.
None of the links require downloads, plug in installs, or signing up for anything of ANY KIND. Those are just ads, click out of them and press play. If you’re struggling, this chrome plug in will make your life easier.
Subbed = speaking in japanese with english subtitles
Dubbed = speaking in english (usually with no subtitles)
- The Cat Returns: subbed | dubbed
- Grave of the Fireflies: subbed | dubbed
- Horus: Prince of the Sun: subbed | x
- Howl’s Moving Castle: subbed | dubbed
- Kiki’s Delivery Service: subbed | dubbed
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky: subbed | dubbed
- My Neighbor Totoro: subbed | dubbed
- My Neighbors the Yamadas: subbed | dubbed
- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: subbed | dubbed
- Only Yesterday: subbed | x
- Panda! Go Panda!: subbed | x
- Pom Poko: subbed | dubbed
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea: subbed | dubbed
- Porco Rosso: subbed | dubbed
- Princess Mononoke: subbed | dubbed
- The Secret World of Arrietty: subbed | dubbed
- Spirited Away: subbed | dubbed
- Tales from Earthsea: subbed | dubbed
- Whisper of the Heart: subbed | dubbed
Population distribution of the United States in units of Canadas.